The Custodian of The Two Holy Mosques was the first Saudi monarch to visit Russia in a historic trip that entailed the strengthening of the two countries. Saudi’s King Salman flew to Moscow this week, in a 4-day-trip to sign around 15 cooperation agreements between the two.
Here’s the 5 other interesting things that took place during his trip that you might have not known:
1. King Salman received an honorary doctorate in one of Russia’s most prestigious universities
And he even joked after receiving it, saying “I am now Dr.Salman”, leaving the audience in applause and laughter.
2. More than 15 agreements worth billions of dollars were signed and this is one of them:
- An arms deal worth for Saudi Arabia to purchase the Russian S-400 long-range air defence systems worth $3 BILLION DOLLARS
3. He was welcomed on the way to his hotel with billboards greeting him in Arabic and Russian
On the way to his hotel, Russia greeted and adorned His Highness by having him take a highway with billboards that showcased the historic visit and welcomed him in both Arabic and Russian language, according to The Independent. . Fancy schmancy stuff.
4. There’s going to be a new media office for Saudi in..
You guessed it… Moscow.
As Arab News reported, there’s going to be a media office set up in Moscow that will help with “promoting community participation, put forward many academic discussions, expand research fields, encourage cooperation in the music domain and present cultural samples such as art galleries and patterns of inter-community interaction, in addition to promoting media and cultural exchange programs and communicating with other cultures and research centres in the host country”.
5. King Salman’s trip set him back $3 Million Dollars in hotel reservations for 4 DAYS
According to The Daily Mail, King Salman bought an entourage of 1,500 people with him to the trip which resulted in booking out hotels like The Ritz Carlton and Four Seasons in Moscow. WOW.